Brainstorming themes for 2011

Dunners
TNN oracle

Brainstorming themes for 2011

Post by Dunners » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:51 am

I have a few ideas...

1. Yarn-bombing 8-[ I borrowed a book on yarn bombing from the Library last week (have since returned it Chc gals ;)) and I feel really inspired to do some 8-[ especially after seeing some around the City yesterday.

2. Soft-toy upcycling. I have seen hundreds of soft toys at the Sallies & fairs, all free. I figure there MUST be something that we could upcycle these into - like hand puppets, or dress-ups.

3. Another de-stash challenge (may be able to work in with the yarn-bombing one)

4. Try something new - let 2011 be the year you do that you finally give that craft a go (e.g. knitting, crochet, needle-felting, etc). Maybe we could organise some workshops in our Cities/Towns for this one?

5. Kids crafting ideas month - may be good for a winter month when we're inside more.

6. $5 challenge - beg, borrow, steal and make something that's cost you no more than $5

What are your ideas?
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

daydream97
TNN guru

Re: Brainstorming themes for 2011

Post by daydream97 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:21 am

Cool ideas! I was just thinking what had happened to monthly focus.

Id be keen to learn to knit!!! :)
Jenna
:girl: Miss Mikaela (03/09)
:angel: Dec 2010
:TNN2: Reuben owen (9/11)
:stork: 08/2013
blog - My family, crafts and Montessori journey :) -- http://ticefamilynz.blogspot.com/

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:44 pm

I have been thinking more about ideas. I am thinking along the lines of a fugly challenge. It destashes (if one has a stash to destash) and gets the creative juices flowing.

Open to modification of how it works of course, but I'm thinking along the lines of those interested "signing up" on a craft type. E.g. sewing (so fabric swapped), knitting/crochet (so yarn swapped), beading (beads swapped), scrapbooking (so scrapbooking supplies swapped), ? etc.

1. People sign up nominating what they want to send (e.g. fabric, or yarn, etc), and what they would be happy to receive to create something with (e.g., someone may have a piece of fabric they are keen to give a new home, but prefer to knit something up). "Swap" pairs/triangles are allocated.

2. Each person goes through their stash and pulls out that fugly, "waiting for divine inspiration" item(s) they've been holding on to. (If someone doesn't have such pieces they can shop with a price limit of say $5 - so hopefully the local thrift store crafts bin or remnant bin at your local fabric/yarn store/TradeMe has something outrageously ugly). Open to suggestions about the minimum total yardage/quantity needed (e.g. 1/2 m fabric, 50 g yarn, x number/grams of beads etc).

3. Ugly item given/posted to swap partner.

4. Partner makes something with the said ugly item(s). They can use stuff from stash to complete their project (preferably they don't need to spend money on items such as embellishing bits - this is a de-stash attempt afterall).

5. Upload a photo of the finished creation so that all can go "wow, the finished product is just gorgeous" and "I could not see such potential in such an ugly ___" . We could take it a step further and return the item to the person whom sent the fabric/yarn/etc?

Thoughts?
Leanne
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Fi
TNN nerd

Post by Fi » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:19 pm

I'm keen to do something that donates a final product to charity.

What about a round the world (NZ) quilt?
So we pick a basic patchwork block, and the quilt moves around the country, each person on the list completing one patchwork block, then gets sent back to the original person to be sewn up, then donated to charity.
We could work in sets of 12 so that there is one block to complete each month.
Templates can be posted with the quilt. I'd be happy to draft out the basic blocks and some general patchwork guidelines (you know - 1/4" seam allowance, how to cut, ironing etc)
Scraps are great for this sort of thing.

Fugly challenge is good, but it needs to be a nice fugly, not just a crappy fugly... ;)

Also maybe a challenge where you receive 3 pieces of clothing from an opshop from someone, and you have to combine all 3 to make something new - whether it is clothing or a bag or something else.

I'd love to find a use for old soft toys......
Fiona
SAHM to Miss J (6), Master H (4) and newby Master C
Partner to SAHD Shane
http://kiwifisworld.blogspot.com/

nzwildchik69
TNN nerd

Post by nzwildchik69 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:55 pm

loving the ideas!! very outside the box 8-)
Zita mum to :king: Haylen 11/11 :king: Denzel 03/08 and :queen: Kiara 05/05

Noisybabe007
TNN nerd

Post by Noisybabe007 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:57 pm

Dunners wrote:I am thinking along the lines of a fugly challenge. It destashes (if one has a stash to destash) and gets the creative juices flowing.
This sounds like a LOT of fun!
Ang - Wife to Wonderful DH S :smt049, Mummy to Gorgeous O :princess: - 16/4/09, our Miracle V :princess: 11/10/11, & Wee Man Lucas 02/06/13- as well as 2 kittys Zoe and Blue :cat: :cat:

ImageImageImage

grizle
TNN nerd

Post by grizle » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:15 pm

I'll definately be trying something new next year - DH got me a voucher for a 6wk evening class so i can learn to do mosaic's :mrgreen:

Must also do lots of sewing and knitting in advance of the new spotlight opening in Tauranga. Will watch this thread with interest as the ideas come along.
Amanda - Mum to 3 beautiful boys

sjl
TNN nerd

Post by sjl » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:40 pm

i like the idea of a new year, new craft challenge -
got given this book for christmas, so I know what I want to do...http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/97 ... ng-by-Hand

on the soft toy front this chair is awesome..http://conceptsecontents.blogosfere.it/ ... -chai.html
Image Image

stardust1
TNN nerd

Post by stardust1 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:45 pm

I like Fi's idea about the quilt, but I'm not a quilter and they scare me, so would need my hand held a bit!! :)
Check out Stardust Designs brand here;
http://www.facebook.com/designsbystardust
License holder for Tiny Tuck-Ins, and watch this space for the sole license holder of another popular nappy.
Taylor - 01/07/03 - :monkey: Ella-Jayne - 30/06/08 - :princess:

mumtotwo
TNN oracle

Post by mumtotwo » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:53 pm

sjl wrote:i like the idea of a new year, new craft challenge -
got given this book for christmas, so I know what I want to do...http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/97 ... ng-by-Hand

on the soft toy front this chair is awesome..http://conceptsecontents.blogosfere.it/ ... -chai.html
oh those poor teddys ......how could you sit on them :shock:
Mum to my two gorgeous and sometimes headache inducing children
Mara 21/02/96
Ashley 27/03/06

Image Image

juju
TNN nutter

Post by juju » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:03 am

Dunners wrote:I have a few ideas...

1. Yarn-bombing 8-[ I borrowed a book on yarn bombing from the Library last week (have since returned it Chc gals ;)) and I feel really inspired to do some 8-[ especially after seeing some around the City yesterday.
:eh: What's yarn-bombing? :D sounds interesting
Mum to Hurricane Hayden (16/8) and Princess Jasmine (1/2)

Fi
TNN nerd

Post by Fi » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:04 am

Patchwork is really easy as long as you are very careful with your cutting and your seam allowance of 1/4" :) Thats why the foot is so super critical!

If we want to do a quilt (or 12) we need to get onto it. I can select a few blocks that are really easy for beginners, and I'm happy to cut out plastic templates for everyone. Well maybe I'll draw the templates on paper, and let everyone else buy the plastic material for the templates as it might get a bit pricey..... Also, maybe I should do the first block as well?
The idea would work with any multiple of 3 people. I'm thinking a log cabin quilt, maybe a basic 9 patch and a bears patch to introduce some triangles.
Super dooper easy intro to patchwork :)
Fiona
SAHM to Miss J (6), Master H (4) and newby Master C
Partner to SAHD Shane
http://kiwifisworld.blogspot.com/

Shae
TNN nerd

Post by Shae » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:33 am

I'd be keen to do a quilt block - despite betting an utter quilting virgin. I'm not sure I could commit to the other challenges tho.
Mama to A, J, & A
www.farmfamily.blogspot.com

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:22 am

juju wrote:
Dunners wrote:I have a few ideas...

:eh: What's yarn-bombing? :D sounds interesting
Graffiti with yarn 8-[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn_bombing and oh my there's an actual website http://yarnbombing.com/. That book is the one I borrowed from the Library. It was an inspiring read 8-[ :rotfl:
Leanne

hannah
TNN guru

Post by hannah » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:31 am

all great ideas!
I've been planning to yarn bomb our own wire fencing up on the road from our place :)
I could be enticed into the fugly swap if I could bags you as my swappee leanne? so no postage ;)
And also a quilt block sounds good as I'd love to try quilting and have ment to for a long time!
Hannah, mama of M 15yrs ♥ , L 13yrs ♥ and A 3yrs ♥
2 teens, 1 preschooler-eeek!

http://www.locket.co.nz

Return to “Monthly Craft focus”