Brainstorming themes for 2011

gemini_gurl
TNN nerd

Re: Brainstorming themes for 2011

Post by gemini_gurl » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:13 am

I'm keen to try a quilt block, and yarnbombing looks like a lot of fun!
Mum to Aug 06, Jan 08 and Jan 10 babies

365/365 - picture challenge [url]http://geminigurl-kat.blogspot.com/[/url]

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:22 am

Fi wrote:Fugly challenge is good, but it needs to be a nice fugly, not just a crappy fugly... ;)

I keep forgetting to come back to this.

I only make gorgeous things, crappy fugly did not even cross my mind (hence why I did not mention it) :lol:
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:14 am

Dunners wrote:
Fi wrote:Fugly challenge is good, but it needs to be a nice fugly, not just a crappy fugly... ;)

I keep forgetting to come back to this.

I only make gorgeous things, crappy fugly did not even cross my mind (hence why I did not mention it) :lol:

I was thinking about this last night and was thinking maybe we pair up with someone local sort out our fuglys and then raid each others fugly stash and then make something either for yourself, them or a charity (or Auction for a Tnn child in need), or local playcentre or something.

That way a fugly goes from stash, but its the sewer/knitter/???? gets to choose it, so will be something they can vision for - then if it goes to charity it raises money for someone in need all in one fugly challenge.

Love the yarn bombing idea - think I will do this after we move back into town.
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:33 am

Should we concentrate on making things for Minty's charity auctions?
If we all work on them together we could get a bit of momentum going???

Gaia
TNN guru

Post by Gaia » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Like the idea of yarn bombing. Just need a cheap source of wool and to get my head around the idea that it is art I am creating rather than the need to knit practical stuff all the time. Would also have to invest in a large hoodie as there are security cameras around the centre of town. :D

I like using old to create something new so the recycling stuff appeals to me.

Also a toy drop...can't find the link right now but saw a blog where they made some toys and crayon/activity packs and dropped them around town with a little note ..Free to good home. Take me home and play/love me sort of thing. I loved that idea. You could make the toys or maybe recycle old soft teddies and dress them up by knitting/sewing an outfit for them.
~Heather~

**Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have. - ANON **

http://overthetoporiginals.wordpress.com/

Gaia
TNN guru

Post by Gaia » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:45 pm

How about a 'baby shower' where the things we make get collectd by one person and donated to a needy cause..maybe for them to use as a raffle rather than just going to one particular person.

Along same lines...crochet squares that we can sew together to donate to needy charity to raffle off. For example: the Brain Injury association up here are in dire need...last year they had to close their doors ...it is open again now but looking like they need to close again. They support so many people in the community in so many ways. Head Injury is often one of those silent disabilities that unless you know someone you don't realise how it affects both the head injured child/adult and their families and it is something that can very easily happen to anyone of you or your family at any time.

I guess I like the idea of crafting and helping someone out at the same time.

A month of knitting/sewing for the special care baby unit at the local hospital. Little blankets for those ugly plastic cribs. Sew merino wraps. knit hats and vests (remembering that not all of those babies are prem...some are a good size) Of course that would work better if there were a few of you in one area. Often feel a little lonely up here as don't often get to gether with other crafty souls
~Heather~

**Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have. - ANON **

http://overthetoporiginals.wordpress.com/

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:52 pm

I love the idea of a fugly month, especially if along the lines of a craft night, pile up the table with every fuggly thing in everyones stash raid what you want then either take it home or donate it... or forward it as a parcel to a TNNer who can't make it to the fuggly swap night :rotfl:

And a Baby shower - whether we decide on prem stuff or a raffle basket
Lisa

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:03 pm

On the charity track of thought, for years now I've been meaning to make something for Sands/Nicu viewtopic.php?f=43&t=22448&start=0 :oops: I would like it to be a focus for 2011 so I actually get something made, finally 8-[ I have just found a smock pattern on Craftster http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=360701.0

Part of my procrastination is because I just don't know about sizing (though I get that some babies are at term when lost), and what would really be most useful. So maybe when we plunge into this theme :wink: someone can tell me exactly what I need to do :lol:

I am keen on other charity/donation work too.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:50 pm

Ok what about a theme like "heat it up"

anything that involves heat - fimo, dying, shrinky-dink, welding :lol: ... I'm sure there is a whole raft of ideas...
Lisa

juju
TNN nutter

Post by juju » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:52 pm

Dunners wrote:
juju wrote:
Dunners wrote:I have a few ideas...

1. Yarn-bombing 8-[ I borrowed a book on yarn bombing from the Library last week (have since returned it Chc gals ;)) and I feel really inspired to do some 8-[ especially after seeing some around the City yesterday.

:eh: What's yarn-bombing? :D sounds interesting

Graffiti with yarn 8-[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn_bombing and oh my there's an actual website http://yarnbombing.com/. That book is the one I borrowed from the Library. It was an inspiring read 8-[ :rotfl:

I knew it as graffitti knitting :wink: Friends covered a whole bike for an art exhibition here earlier this year. Looked very cool.

I'm keen to do a quilt block. I recently did my first block and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be :D
Mum to Hurricane Hayden (16/8) and Princess Jasmine (1/2)

cged004
TNN convert

Post by cged004 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:14 pm

I have never ever attempted a quilt or anything on a sewing machine to be honest. But would luv to give it a go. The knitting sounds good too :)
Celesté
SAHM to my lil man 3 yrs old & baby girl 1 years old, and expecting our second princess 11/11 :)
and 1 angel baby Destiny-Leigh @ 28 weeks born 24.11.02

ksjc
TNN nerd

Post by ksjc » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:39 pm

I'd love to help out with something for charity, I quite often think about what I can do.
I'd love to do a quilt block too but have no idea how!!!
Kelly, Mama to S 01/06, J 05/08, C 11/10 and C 07/12
Was beautymama03 :)

Fi
TNN nerd

Post by Fi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:02 pm

OK - well it sounds like a quilt block could be a goer. I'm happy to set up a tutorial for everyone (or find a sensible one online that we can refer to)
Where should I set up a thread?
And everyone needs to find a 1/4" seam foot.

How about we do a log cabin block to start with, which is a great way of checking your seam allowance is correct.
Fiona
SAHM to Miss J (6), Master H (4) and newby Master C
Partner to SAHD Shane
http://kiwifisworld.blogspot.com/

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:35 am

Fi - I would say just start the thread in the monthly craft focus.

I so loove the idea of a quilt but will sit this one out and watch as I dont want to start something that has to be put to the side when we move. Might attempt one after watching all the lovelys produced.

ETA: - I also love the idea of crafting for charity so could we maybe look at our main 2011 focus is for charity and then work the monthly focus around that.
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

Makana
TNN guru

Post by Makana » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:52 am

What damn cool ideas!

I would love to do some beginner quilting BUT I love the NICU idea as well. I am sure a few of us could do that.
Kate
SAHM to Ariana 8yrs, Makayla 5 years & Holly 2
and three angels
Please check out: Hats for Ethan
My blog HERE

Return to “Monthly Craft focus”