Anyone want to join me in a woollen upcycle challenge?

growingclothie
TNN oracle

Re: Anyone want to join me in a woollen upcycle challenge?

Post by growingclothie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:02 am

I've made the kids lots of merino pants over the last couple of years, a $3 op shop merino jersey does at least 2pairs of pants (up to about size3 if you get a big enough jersey). I just overlock the seams but am also selective in the type of knit I buy, machine knit works better for this than handknit

Would like to challenge myself to think of a more creative way to recycle something wool, possibly by felting something
Bec

Home educating mum to precious blessings:
*MissW (stillborn Jan'04)
*MasterZ (11yrs old, born Jan'04)
*MasterH (7yrs old, born Sept'07)
*MissK (4yrs old, born Nov'10)
*MissF (2yrs old, born July'13)

Visit me on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SteppingInWater

Gaia
TNN guru

Post by Gaia » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:14 am

I have a couple of felted jumpers here.....intentionally felted.....might have to wait a few months before they morph into something usable :D
~Heather~

**Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have. - ANON **

http://overthetoporiginals.wordpress.com/

ksjc
TNN nerd

Post by ksjc » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:08 pm

Oh I've been meaning to do something like this for ages, a friend of mine has just finished making her 3 girls gorgeous winter coats out of woolen blankets she bought for 50c each from the local tip shop!
Kelly, Mama to S 01/06, J 05/08, C 11/10 and C 07/12
Was beautymama03 :)

missymoomoo
TNN nerd

Post by missymoomoo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:21 pm

This is perfect for me. I have an old woolen trench coat that I want to make DD a coat out of for winter. Just can't seem to find the right pattern.

Last year I made some slippers out of an old jumper that accidently got felted. I took some photo's and found them yesterday so will pop them up on my blog as to what I did. They are so warm and toastie.
Jo
Ma too two amazing and beautiful girls born 08 and 11. They just make my heart sing every day ♥

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JodulbugCreations
Blog: www.jodulbugcreations.com
Felt: http://felt.co.nz/shop/jodulbug

Mrs Shavas
TNN nerd

Post by Mrs Shavas » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:32 pm

I'm in, I've got a little bit of winter sewing to do. I found a pattern to make newborn hats and I thought I would make some out of some jerseys I've got.
"almost without exception [women] are shown in their relation to men. It was strange to think that all the great women of fiction were, [...]not only seen by the other sex, but seen only in relation to the other sex. And how small a part of a woman’s life is that"Virginia Woolf
Mum to my P Monkey 18/04/08, fox 28/11/09, and Missy moo moo 2/07/12

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:29 pm

:lol: I'm back to beg for some ideas 8-[ :lol: I've spent a bit of time looking on Etsy, Rav & through my knitting/crochet books and I'm still rather unsure of what to do. Anyone have any ideas;

I have a black hand knitted vest (bought from Sallies), with 4, maybe 5? buttons down the front. Very plain, and I thought it would be fun to do something with it to make it a bit more ROAK and less granny-like. It is quite a rough wool, I'd say DK or worsted weight.

Does anyone have any links to rav projects or the like with some embellishing that would work for an adult female? Things that I would usually do as embellishments for the kids need a bit more tweaking to make it work for an adult sized garment KWIM?

I'm thinking along the lines of embroidery, with say crochet bits added, maybe replace the blend-in black buttons with some outrageous buttons? I've seen a few things with lace/ribbon added and I like them, but I don't know if I have what it takes to pull something like that off (wearing-wise) :oops:

Any ideas you want to share?
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Fi
TNN nerd

Post by Fi » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:19 pm

I'll do a bag or something from a felted jumper. I have a couple of those here :)
Fiona
SAHM to Miss J (6), Master H (4) and newby Master C
Partner to SAHD Shane
http://kiwifisworld.blogspot.com/

Darny
TNN guru

Post by Darny » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:46 pm

Leanne, what about some funky buttons and crochet flowers and vines?... just really jazz it up
Or maybe stitch some elastic around the waist (assuming it's long enough) to pull it in, and add a crochet "ruffle" sort of thing around the bottom and arm holes in a brighter colour....
Shar
http://www.darncat.com Clothing Patterns for Kids (and some for Mum and Dad)
http://www.facebook.com/DaRNCaT.Patterns http://darncatpatterns.blogspot.com/
http://www.nznappies.co.nz OSFM adjustable rise nappy patterns

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness' :penguin:

jailee
TNN nerd

Post by jailee » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:41 pm

beautymama03 wrote:Oh I've been meaning to do something like this for ages, a friend of mine has just finished making her 3 girls gorgeous winter coats out of woolen blankets she bought for 50c each from the local tip shop!
Would love to see these! I'm kinda wondering how it's done....is the woolen blanket on the outside? I'm not sure I've seen many pretty wool blankets anyway! The ones we have are gawdy orange ones with stripes - yuck!
~ Jo ~
DD#1 Dec 04
DD#2 Jan 07
DS 2 Sept 09

Mrs Shavas
TNN nerd

Post by Mrs Shavas » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Leanne, I'd pull the vest back and re knit something else with it if it was handknit. I make a crossover top with the woollen jerseys I find from the Hospice Shop, and I bought a woollen blanket to make P a jacket with.
"almost without exception [women] are shown in their relation to men. It was strange to think that all the great women of fiction were, [...]not only seen by the other sex, but seen only in relation to the other sex. And how small a part of a woman’s life is that"Virginia Woolf

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:18 am

I had considered frogging it for yarn, but it's just too rough for my liking - I just know I'd give up knitting it (like I did with the hemp yarn from years back)! At least with a layer underneath it will be wearable as is, just have to figure out what sort of OOAK I want (without being way out there 8-[ )

I am just finishing another hand knit vest for me (I'm trying to be good & finish a project before starting another), should get that done today. Then, I can get onto jazzing up this black vest... (if inspiration comes ;))
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Post by Callum's godmother » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:43 pm

I remember seeing a stall of cardigans at a market ... they were all secondhand cardies with embellishment - buttons, lace etc I was impressed but have to say it is way outside my creative ability!!

Joanne
TNN nerd

Post by Joanne » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:28 pm

Someone at the nelson market does that to cardigans. lots of ribbon on the edges, buttons, embellishment etc. Totally OTT, but in a good way LOL
Wife to M, Mum to DS 2/02, DD1 3/05, and DD2 1/07

Mrs Shavas
TNN nerd

Post by Mrs Shavas » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:53 pm

What about a random assortment of buttons on the lower corner or something like that?

Goldilocks
TNN nerd

Post by Goldilocks » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:14 pm

Awesome! I have already cut up a woolen skirt of mine a few weeks back to make some grovy old man pants for little man..and then yesterday I was at an op shop and scored some more gorgeous woolen skirts to cut up for some more \:D/ Must have been on the same wave length Leanne! :wink:

The first pair I'm making are going to be flat front and adjustable back elastic and have a pocket on the bum that was already part of the skirt. I've made some front pockets lined with merino. Now just need to cut up some lining fabric and get into it!! :D
~Carla~

Proud mummy to 3 boys..
kayd 23/6/02
Kyan 11/9/06
Rafferty 6/5/10
Life is crazy!

<---My 3 gorgeous boys!

Return to “Monthly Craft focus”