Anyone up for an Op Shop challenge?

Dunners
TNN oracle

Anyone up for an Op Shop challenge?

Post by Dunners » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:33 pm

I was at my local Sallies today. I really want to do a re-purpose project, and of course it's more fun with others.

Anyone want to join me on an Op Shop challenge of some sort? I was thinking something like spending $5 (or maybe $10) on an ugly item or two, and turning it into something fabulous that you would wear.

I'm very flexible with the conditions people want to stick to (e.g. whether using ribbon etc from stash ok, or everything have to come from the Op Shop, and within a set budget etc).

I need some clothes. I'm all inspired. Anyone else keen?
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

AliG
TNN guru

Re: Anyone up for an Op Shop challenge?

Post by AliG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:46 pm

I'm keen! Sounds like fun and I do love to Op shop :D I haven't really done anything in the way of sewing clothing for me, so it'd be a good challenge for me too.
Image Image
And now licensed to knit all of Tikki's fabulous patterns!

white-rose
TNN guru

Post by white-rose » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:51 pm

ooh i might but it might take me a while - i was in the opshop the other day trying to sort some things for a wee project but I am waiting for them to get a couple of things in and let me know. (I need several of the same) so it would depend on your time frame whether I actually fit into it.
Louise - CBE and SAHM to 6 children; 14, 11, 9, 8, 6, and 4.
Angel mummy to MissK 12 and 2 little ^i^

*If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together. There is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you. By Winnie the Pooh*

Owner and creator of Kanzu - Clothing with a difference https://www.facebook.com/kanzudesign

Gaia
TNN guru

Post by Gaia » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:47 pm

Sounds like fun. Not sure if I will have the time to join in or not...depends when you are doing it
~Heather~

**Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have. - ANON **

http://overthetoporiginals.wordpress.com/

macca
TNN guru

Post by macca » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:27 am

Yip I'm in. Easy as. love doing this.
:D
Melissa
Mum to Jack - born November 06 and Charlie - born May 09.
My blog http://maccafamily.blogspot.com

Emma
TNN guru

Post by Emma » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:52 am

Oh me too! I was dreaming about something similar last night :D
Emma
Mum to 5 lovely children

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:12 am

8-)

So what timeline are people able to work towards?
What is the max Op Shop budget?
Thoughts on limits to extra fabric (say up to 1 m new fabric? or say up to $10 worth of fabric?, or no limit on stash fabrics but no buying new?, or only fabric acquired from an Op Shop? or?)
What about zips/buttons/embellishments? Only from Op Shop, or stash or new allowed?

ETA I'd be quite happy if people wanted to do the challenge to make clothing for a child. It doesn't have to be for an adult.
Leanne
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Makana
TNN guru

Post by Makana » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:21 am

Kate
SAHM to Ariana 8yrs, Makayla 5 years & Holly 2
and three angels
Please check out: Hats for Ethan
My blog HERE

teezeez
TNN nerd

Post by teezeez » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm in, I need some preegy clothes so should be a good challenge :)
Toni
Mummy to 3 beautiful boys

Nathan-11-05-03
Levi-04-11-05
Daniel-07-07-12
and..

Find me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/TeezeezBaby

Pommiegotlost
TNN nutter

Post by Pommiegotlost » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:25 pm

Ooh this sounds like fun, i'll give it a go (depending on the time frame)

NPMum
TNN nerd

Post by NPMum » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Stumbled across this thread. Looks like a lot of fun, wondering if anyone has made anything yet.
I have been 'upcycling' some of my old clothes and was lucky enough to find some great fabric at the op shop recently.
I'm not so good at seeing the potential in some of the clothes I see so would love to see what others have been able to do.

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:16 pm

I've not been too serious about this yet, there seems to be lots of other little things I need to do. I do keep an eye out for things that may be upcyclable when I visit the Sallies though. I am currently making a tee pee for James' birthday upcycling an old calico something from the sallies (may have been a table cover of some sort?) and an old calico curtain. I used an ugly red skirt (with tulle roses around the hem) for Emily's sash on the flower girl dress she wore last month. The colour was a perfect match to the bridesmaids (dresses bought ready made and colour difficult to match in fabric stores), and it was about $1 so an absolute steal too of course as it would have been about $20 of fabric if off the roll. (and her mock-up dress was curtain in a former life :lol: ) Oh, I bought a white Revlon handbag last time at the Sallies. I plan to do something to it as the white isn't really me, but the size of it & metal bits are cool. Still trying to find inspiration for that one.

So many things I want to do, and I keep getting called in to work :gaah: (which is great but a little bit sad as I don't get to do crafting :lol: )
Leanne

AliG
TNN guru

Post by AliG » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:17 pm

I haven't done much on this either. I have a few vintage sheets picked up from secondhand stores that I intend to turn into a dress for Tess and a couple of patchwork quilts for both my girls. I also have a couple of items of clothing that I've bought that need to be altered.

Another great blog for getting creative ideas is: http://dee-construction.blogspot.co.nz/ Her blog is about everything, but she often does cool upcycling of secondhand clothing.
Image Image
And now licensed to knit all of Tikki's fabulous patterns!

piggywiggy
TNN nerd

Post by piggywiggy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:26 pm

I bought a bag of clothes from the hospice shop in NP a couple of weeks ago when we were up there. Time was of the essence and it was a "fill a bag for $1" deal so I just heaved in things that I thought might fit or be too big and could possibly be dealt to. Two of the eight items were too small, oh well never mind, they're back in the blue clothing bins already :rotfl:
One of the items was a size 24 nanna-ish style skirt with slightly diagonal ironed in pleats (not sewn in though) on an elasticated waist. I thought that I'd somehow be able to rescue it into a wool look skirt for work. It was odd in that it only had one seem - on the side. Unpicked it completely with the intention of just taking it in heaps but decided to turn it into a wrap a skirt. To keep a nice mid calf liength (oh I AM getting OLD!) I used some ancient bias binding as a false hem/facing at the top and used black snaps as fasteners. WIll try and take a picture of it tomorrow some time. But I'm really stoked a whole new skirt fro me for around 40 cents. Best thing is that when I loose a bit more weight I'll just move some of the snaps and it will still fit :mrgreen:
Catherine
Working mumma to D (march 08) and N (dec 10)

hannah
TNN guru

Post by hannah » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:14 pm

I havent had time to do anything yet either.
My plan is to do something with a fabulous yellow 80s wool coat I found recently. I cant decide if its possible to tweak it so its wearable for me, or if I just make something small-person'sh with it :huh:
Hannah, mama of M 15yrs ♥ , L 13yrs ♥ and A 3yrs ♥
2 teens, 1 preschooler-eeek!

http://www.locket.co.nz

Return to “Monthly Craft focus”