2012.... TNN Inc's big year?

An area for people who want to volunteer their services to TNN inc without being financial members
krisha
TNN oracle

Re: 2012.... TNN Inc's big year?

Post by krisha » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:43 pm

Janie wrote:I think the info around sewing your own nappies is available here and not elsewhere easily, perhaps this is an area which TNN could highlight a little better.
Agree with this, there are so many other patterns available (for purchase too - worldwide) having updated links to those would be beneficial,more photos of completed DIY nappies, showing that they can be "pretty" as well as functionable ;) Links to where you can buy the basics for making your own MCN's. Perhaps costings written out so people can see the breakdown of one DIY'd cloth nappy vs. a brought alternative? We know its cheaper to make them than to buy them, but do others?

Linking to you tube videos (or the likes) for step by step video instructions on sewing (my very first project since intermediate sewing was a pocket nappy), the back elastics, leg elastics etc, how to use a snap press, all of those would have been very handy to a first time sewer.

hannah
TNN guru

Post by hannah » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:03 pm

So who really does run the show? Is there a committee list somewhere? I'd have liked to be more involved but frankly some of the rumours I've heard about how things are run or perhaps not run, make me balk at the idea.
Clearly there need to be changes. We all know that. Nothings ever updated on the first pages due to the person (?) taking care of it not having time, can it be put forward to the members as well as the general forum asking for someone who might like to lend their skills in that area? Obviously the load isnt being spread.
Tis too late for me to be commenting on this at all. Shall think on it tomorrow.
Hugs Helen :grouphug:
Hannah, mama of M 15yrs ♥ , L 13yrs ♥ and A 3yrs ♥
2 teens, 1 preschooler-eeek!

http://www.locket.co.nz

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Post by Callum's godmother » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:43 pm

Janie wrote:
I 1000% agree that the website needs sorting, it has needing sorting for a long time, and there have been threads about it, and nothing has changed. I have no idea why, and I am not a webdesigner so can't fix it. If my $10 was going to getting the website fixed, then I would gladly contribute $$$.

Hire kits - nope, don't think TNN need them. there are a number available out there, through retailers and others, and they will have more up to date brands in them. It is a responsibility, and a storage and cleaning problem that would fall on only a few shoulders.
Nappicinos - can be arranged through the forum, like most forum meetups. Most of us here could rustle up a demo kit with covers/inserts/pockets/AIO if needed, or could find such things from people in their area to help newbies. There are also more IRL shops with examples then there used to be.
Antenatal/midwives class education - Huggies sponser ParentCentre, so there would be no opportunity there. Very region specific, not a nationwide campaign possible, so it would totally depend on who lives where. No call for it in my town, the council sponsered packs reaches more people than I ever could. I was present when Kate was teaching the midwives about the scheme, and showing them some different types and brands, it is already covered here.
Cloth Nappy Week is happening already, without TNN, so maybe people on TNN would like to hear about it, and join in too.

I think the info around sewing your own nappies is available here and not elsewhere easily, perhaps this is an area which TNN could highlight a little better.

So there are my thoughts, what do you think? Nova, I am not being negative, just getting some clarity over what it is you want others to do, and why.
AGREE, AGREE, AGREE, AGREE Janie ... my thoughts exactly.

and as for the website changes the person who can actually change things is no longer here on a regular basis.

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Post by Callum's godmother » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:04 am

posh wrote: I don't think that is being fair to Nova :( she is trying to get the enthusiasm for cloth nappy promotion back up.
true, true ... but feels like we talk these things to death! the members of the forum can surely get behind rnw without the committee ... just do it nova!! and thanks for the great ideas for membership list etc ... hopefully someone will put it into place and the committee can get back on it's wobbly legs again oh and i apologise as i thought this was in the board room and shouldn't have aired the dirty linen in public!! :oops:

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Post by Callum's godmother » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:08 am

:wave:

nova
TNN oracle

Post by nova » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:21 am

[-X :neener2: :smt050
:star:

Katriana
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Katriana » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:35 am

I thought we'd agreed on someone to update the main pages? (I won't name names here)

There is no Inc any more as I understand it. Or is it that we don't have charitable status anymore?

This last year has been a nightmare and nothing has been done on any front :(

Janie
TNN nerd

Post by Janie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:20 am

hannah wrote:So who really does run the show? Is there a committee list somewhere?
I would suspect that some involved are in Christchurch, would this be right? If so, then fair enough it has dropped to the bottom of the priority list.

How many hire kits are there? Who has them and where? How many times have they been hired out in 2011?

How many demo kits are there? Who has them and where? How many times have they been used in 2011?
DS1 July 2007
DS2 Nov 2010

Emma
TNN guru

Post by Emma » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:27 am

Right, here I am putting my hand up for I don't know what.
I have never commented on these kind of threads because I really don't have a clue about what actually is going on. I don't know what the inc. is meant to do but I love the idea of promoting mcn. On that note though I agree with Karen's dh that sometimes in the past there has been a lot of work done by volunteers which does little but financially benefit the retailers.
Parents Center, in chc at least, do actually have cloth nappy demo's along side the huggies demo so it is actually an area we can help in. Laura pretty much has had that covered down here for a long time which is fantastic.
I have know idea who Kate is but it sounds like she is doing a good job. Is there a reason we aren't working together with her? I mean does it come from her end or ours?
ON the hire kit note, I love the idea of tnn providing something affordable and accessible. I know retailers have them but obviously they need to be run to profit, so that leaves a gap for a few nfp hire kits. Maybe even a bigger size kit (m or l) for short term hire while people try out the idea and save to get there own nappy stash started?
From my rather distant point of view, the forum is a great community OT threads and all. Thats not our reason for existence though. TNN's point of difference is unbiased information about a variety of cloth nappies. We cover everything from flats, pins, and soakers right through to the latest mcns as well as how to sew and knit your own. Nappiccinos are a great place to get to know people and learn from other peoples experience. I've borrowed nappies to try, had trouble shooting advice, and drooled over other peoples new nappies or knitting.
I'm technically far from being one of the oldies but I love the idea of focussing back on our roots so to speak.
(hope I'm not speaking out of turn as I'm not a committee member)
Emma
Mum to 5 lovely children

Mrs Shavas
TNN nerd

Post by Mrs Shavas » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:12 am

I've been lurking in this thread and I have some ideas.

I think the best thing to do is to sort out what we (TNN) can ADD to the MCN landscape as it currently is. There is no point wasting our time and energy if there are already promotion and advocacy in some areas by others.

So from my perspective, there are a couple of things we could do.

Monthly (or two monthly) nappicinos in our area. Demo kit available, an opportunity for new users to ask questions, share experiences etc. Promotion could be fairly low cost and we could perhaps ask those organisations who currently do this kind of thing how to go about it (slingbabies etc).
I am happy to put my hand up to run these nappicinos for New Plymouth/Taranaki, and I've got the Taranaki Demo Kit.

Promotion of our DIY expertise - this would require a revamp of the website at the very least.

Promote to mws and antenatal classes. This is what I do for a living (although in a different context), so please PM me if you want to know more about how we could do this. I can't currently commit to organising it myself because I am busy and going to have a baby and that would result in this not getting done, which would be counter productive.

Personally I think we should focus on only a couple of areas, and pour our energy into that. Of course, if others have a better idea of what the needs are, we should certainly focus on those, but a tighter focus would make it easier for us to see gains and keep on top of things.
"almost without exception [women] are shown in their relation to men. It was strange to think that all the great women of fiction were, [...]not only seen by the other sex, but seen only in relation to the other sex. And how small a part of a woman’s life is that"Virginia Woolf
Mum to my P Monkey 18/04/08, fox 28/11/09, and Missy moo moo 2/07/12

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:20 am

TNN is definitely still an incorporated society. I just looked it up on the societies register.
TNN is no longer a registered charity with the charities commission and doesn't have tax free status with the IRD .. but it is still an incorporated society and needs to follow the rules for societies.
http://www.societies.govt.nz/cms/incorp ... -a-society
OR officially wind up http://www.societies.govt.nz/cms/incorp ... ed-society (and follow the rules for wind up)

I am still the listed as co-chair and my address is still listed as the address details.
I have harped on and on about it but it's still there and I am not allowed to change it myself as I'm not on the board. Lisa you are currently the chair can you PLEASE contact them and get this changed. I am really annoyed that I am still getting stuff from them asking when TNN is going to have an agm and when it's going to submit financials. If there is no one on the current board who has time to do that then PLEASE have an agm so that a new board can be elected (or wind up procedure started).

It's all good getting the promotion back up and running... but we also HAVE to follow the rules. If the board decides to wind up then 21 days notice needs to be given for a general meeting.

CarlaK
TNN guru

Post by CarlaK » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:33 am

Claire wrote:
It's all good getting the promotion back up and running... but we also HAVE to follow the rules. If the board decides to wind up then 21 days notice needs to be given for a general meeting.
im sorry you are having probs not being taken off the register :(

i think for me (not sure about anyone else) im more talking about promoting TNN the forum and website and spreading the cloth love rather than anything to do with TNN inc. so i just wanted to clarify where i was coming from.
Carla, Mum of Kaylee - 8, Olivia - 6, Benjamin - 3

Just keep swimming ;)

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:48 am

CarlaK wrote:
Claire wrote:
im sorry you are having probs not being taken off the register :(

i think for me (not sure about anyone else) im more talking about promoting TNN the forum and website and spreading the cloth love rather than anything to do with TNN inc. so i just wanted to clarify where i was coming from.
sweet as! I know lots of people are like that... That's why I recon we could be more effective as a group of volunteers than as a society.

I have been asking for someone to please have my name removed for well over a year :gaah:

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:44 am

Ok I don't have the time to dedicate to reading this fully right now. DH's annual leave time is precious as is the last days of DS1's school holidays. I will try to sit down one evening and get a proper follow up done.

But quickly there are two people who have tried to have you removed Claire. We have attempted many board meetings but asside from the general "forgets" we have also had earthquakes etc which have both added to the distractablity and lack of internet access.

What I would like to do is talk to the board in the boardroom and work out who would like to resign as of now. Then we can look at who would like to be on the board from now untill we have enough details to run an AGM.

Set a membership fee (low) and open up membership.

At AGM present a suggestion for moving forward that can be voted on
- changes to rules (board size, key jobs, frequency of meetings)
- whether to re-instate charity status or to continue as "just" and incoroprated society
- plans for activities for 2012-2013 year
Lisa

nova
TNN oracle

Post by nova » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:49 am

Lisa, I'll compile agenda points for you if that is cool? Then when a meeting actually happens then we've already thrashed our what topics need to be addressed :)

But as a Moderator I'm placing these rules over the whole proceedings, starting now, to keep things civil, and productive. They haven't been in place in the past, and look at how fab that was. So these are to keep the forum sweet -

NO "this was supposed to be done ages ago' comments, only "this needs to be done urgently"
NO response of "well I tried in the past but..." comments, only "I will take care of that."

(Isn't there a business term for this? Meaning all outstanding business is dealt with immediately, so they can start afresh..?? Well I'm going to dub it "new look" aka "nova facie" :lol: )
  • -Opportunity for election of new committee members, and resignation of retiring members.
    - Claire needs removing from the society register, and all other officers updated
    - Review of society rules.
    - We would like the website updating
    - A facebook page for TNN has been suggested.
    - All committee members need fresh links to all the appropriate society docs
    - All society docs need to be loaded onto Box.net, Google Docs or similar, if any aren't currently.
    - Holders of all demo and hire kits needs to be ascertained, and their ongoing participation confirmed.
    - Membership rally and signup process needs to be re-instigated, and streamlined.
    - Any outstanding debts owed to and by TNN Inc. need to be identified, and addressed.
    - A copy of the society rules needs to be made available online to members.
    - 2012 events planning
What else? I've forgotten..
:star:

Return to “TNN inc volunteers”