AGM questions and sidechat

Annual General Meeting
aidanasher
TNN nerd

Re: AGM questions and sidechat

Post by aidanasher » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:11 pm

hey all, am back...
well, not sure where to put this, but i'd like to stand down from my position please.
due to other commitments that i'd like to focus myself into atm, also am not here much these days.

hope it's ok... happy to carry on til AGM and someone to take it over.

FluffyMail
TNN guru

Post by FluffyMail » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:19 pm

:lol: that's great, it made me look!
now FluffyMail formally ittibittinz
Karyn - Mum to Jakob 9 and Isaac 6
NZ Distributor of itti bitti and ones&twos

Image Image

itti bitti FACEBOOK page
ones & twos FACEBOOK page

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:11 pm

I have a question about the voting side of things please.

Could voting be clarified please? I think I recall reading somewhere that voting was open. How will voting be happening? I am hoping that voting would be a process that allows voters to feel safe & honest, without fear of repercussions for any vote that they place.

Amethyst
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Amethyst » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:37 am

Don't we only need voting if several members are standing for the same position?
If you mean in the actual agm, the voting will be done on the thread cause it also needs to be transparent :).
Pooh-Bah, Lord High everything else :roll:
Mamma to 3 wee product testers :king: 12 :king: 10 :queen: 8

Stacey
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Stacey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:40 am

We can do polls - its anonymous, and guarantees one vote per person. The only issue with forum polls is that the poll would need to be run in a different area than the AGM. In order to assure that only society members vote, the poll would need to be run in an area that only society members can access.
------- Admin --------
:smt049 Mama to 2 beautiful kiddiwinks :smt049

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:02 pm

Our rules on votingbstate a show of hands unless chair person dmands a poll & each member must post individually if held on the forum
hehe an AGM polling booth section

I wish i could cpy and paste the ules, but its a scanned copy on the charity comissions website, and i am typing with the onscreen keyboard
Lisa

nova
TNN oracle

Post by nova » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:45 pm

i think a poll would be a good idea stacey! :D cos in such a tight knit community like this one it would be easy for emotions to get in the way of fair voting.. i think you are more likely to get a fair vote if people are allowed to be anonymous, just cos no-one wants to upset anyone else :lol:

i think there should still be voting even if there is only one nominee, cos what if you got osama as your only nominee, you'd still want to be able to have a NO vote! :wink: it would just then force a new round of nominations...

technically there aren't really any rules set out for voting in an AGM, only for general meetings ;) mmm... loopholes...

apart from-
13.5 Procedure for Elections:
* Any two Members may nominate any other Member to serve as a Member of the Board.
* Each Member present at the Annual General Meeting in person or by proxy may vote for election of Members to the Board, and the 15 Members receiving the most votes shall be elected.

at a general meeting the voting is by show of hands, unless the chair demands a poll. and even then you can appoint a proxy via letter, email or PM, though to whom isn't specified! :lol:

there is the other loophole of no mention of a veto vote, which means it's open to the hypothetical scenario of a sole nominee getting elected in because 1 person voted for them, even if the rest of the membership didn't :twitch: that seems SO wrong to me...

lol can you tell i've been backwards & forwards through those rules & found more than a few places where they are totally open to abuse?! :roll: :wink:
:star:

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:53 pm

I know Nova... !
Lets get a lynch mob together and go visit Flower :rotfl:

It comes back down to lack of volunteers, I don't think you can turn people away if doing so means there are not enough members to form a board.

I asked the question about voting at the last general meeting and all the replies said that they were happy with posting to a thread.

nova
TNN oracle

Post by nova » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:43 pm

jeez even with a lynch mob i wouldn't dare take on flower! :wink: :hide:

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:39 pm

nova, can you copy and paste 8.4 too

IMO it would be good to do a confidence poll 4 board members, since there is no competition
Longterm - I think we should be running a wider volunteers network that people can participate in - eg: volunteers doing short term or infrequent projects underthe guidence of the board, like subcommitees but sometimes just one person iykwim... you ont have to b on the board to do stuff for tnn inc
Lisa

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:31 pm

Thank you, see, I had no memory of what we do voting wise :lol:
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

nova
TNN oracle

Post by nova » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:47 pm

karmiec wrote:nova, can you copy and paste 8.4 too
nope ;) haven't worked out how to successfully translate it to text :roll:

but since i'm feeling generous ;)
8 General Meetings
8.4 Voting: At any General Meeting a resolution put to the vote shall be decided upon by show of hands unless a poll is demanded by the Chair, or by at least three Members present in person or by proxy. At an internet meeting Members must vote individually by posting their vote on the host site.

well another solution then would be to set up one of those little free forums, only send the link to Inc Members, and allow everyone to create an alias. fits the individual post vote criteria, the host site isn't actually specified as here, and still allows a level of anonymity.

or a poll would be easier ;)

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:42 pm

Thanks!! got to go charge the batteries for they keyboard... or get a usb one
Lisa

Katriana
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Katriana » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:36 am

Is there a problem voting as has always been done? Why the sudden need/want for secrecy? I thought the board was trying to be more transparent?

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:14 pm

Katriana wrote:Is there a problem voting as has always been done? Why the sudden need/want for secrecy? I thought the board was trying to be more transparent?

Maybe I read itdifferently to you, but Iread it as a question of how does the society get to have a voice? Which is a hard one when there isnt any comptiion over places on the board. For exmple is a bully stood for a general place on the board, but we were still under 15 board members how do people get to say, actually no you're not suitible representitive of our charity.

I'm happy to run against a confidence poll. That would show whether the society trust me for the position
Lisa

Return to “The Nappy Network Inc AGM 2010”