Oh that's interesting Rachelle. I can't imagine I'll be dyeing enough to wear a hole in my pot (not before the vibrating does my head in and I replace the pot with a stainless steel one
The vibrating would probably wear a hole before the vinegar
I'm building up my separate utensils (one pot, bowl and spoon, all second hand), but I don't want to go nuts, as storage space is an issue, as well as the excess factor. I just want enough to make good use of the plain yarn and acid dyes that I now have.
I also have a steamer that I use instead of the microwave as you shouldn't use a dyeing microwave for food.
I've seen lots of tutorials for dyeing using acid dyes in the microwave, and none that I've seen specify that you need a separate microwave. I guess if you're dyeing all day long maybe there's a slim risk of something, but if its very occasional, I can't imagine that using the microwave presents much of a problem. The microwave isn't getting splattered with dye, and I don't wipe my food around it before eating it either. Seems kind of excessive for the occasional home dyer.
OK, tell a lie, I have now found a couple of sources recommending a separate microwave. I dunno, wondering if it is overly cautious myself?