Good quality cotton drill

cj
TNN guru

Good quality cotton drill

Post by cj » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:20 pm

I need black cotton drill that is really black and good stuff, N's school has a new uniform and the shorts are :shock: $40 a pair for a 5 year old (for goodness sake I don't own shorts that cost that much).
They are the only non-monogrammed thing so hoping I can at least save a little there. Quite distressed at $27 for a polo short but they are monogrammed so no choice there!
I actually really like the uniform, just a bit concerned I need to buy 2 sets this year and 2 next year!
Is Spotties stuff good quality / won't fade - they do get washed every day around here.
You know who I am! Mum to DS1(7), DS2(6), DD(6), DS3(5).

Minty
TNN oracle

Re: Good quality cotton drill

Post by Minty » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:27 pm

How about something like this?

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Pack-Uni ... s=center-3

They're not drill though (I don't think, looking at the picture). Do they have to be drill?
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

cj
TNN guru

Post by cj » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Yep, I have to make them look like I bought the $40 ones, they are going to be really strict about the new uniform, I'm not supposed to deviate at all :roll:

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:39 pm

Oh that's a pain. Do they have a secondhand uniform contact person?
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

jobrush
TNN nerd

Post by jobrush » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:47 pm

Minty wrote:Oh that's a pain. Do they have a secondhand uniform contact person?
The uniform is new next year so there isn't any 2nd hand stuff available :(
Jo
Mum of:
Ethan (Nov 04)
Lucas (Oct 07)
Breanna (July 10)

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:50 pm

Eeep, no cheap (easy) options then.

Back to your original question. :lol: Not sure about Spotlight, but I've always found Fabric Vision cotton drill to be very good quality.
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

Petals
TNN guru

Post by Petals » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Minty wrote:How about something like this?

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Pack-Uni ... s=center-3

They're not drill though (I don't think, looking at the picture). Do they have to be drill?
They are drill, I got the same ones for my boys for school (but in navy). At 7 pound for two pair, times three children, plus not having to actually go anywhere or do anything other than enter the credit card details and sign for the courier when it turned up at our doorstep, I am super impressed. Anyway, they're 100% cotton drill. I can take some photos if you like, or send you a pair to see if they are close enough or if you could adjust them to be close enough, if you like?
Kylie

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:21 pm

Oh they are drill Kylie. It was because you told me about your purchases that I thought of them for cj, only they didn't look like drill in the picture. Wow that is good value. :D
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

Petals
TNN guru

Post by Petals » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:51 pm

I wasn't sure if they would be or not, so I got them anyway cos our school tolerates anything navy.
Kylie

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:58 am

Our school is tightening up on the uniform too (new Principal). Worst part for me being the new shoes rule, we'd recently bought them new New Balance sandal/running shoes (which they wear for a whole year for school & home - with socks in winter). If we'd known we would have bought the black version instead of the royal blue & pink versions :roll: We need a few new tops (both Em & James are wearing the same size) so I'm hoping Postie will have a sale before school goes back so I don't have to pay RRP.

I've bought blue drill remnants from Kutwells before, not sure if they have black but it would be worth phoning/checking. The blue drill I've made sunhats out of and they have worn reallllly well. Oh, and a pair of cargo type pants which is onto the 2nd child...

Good luck!
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

nicky-noodle
TNN guru

Post by nicky-noodle » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:18 am

Everything is monogrammed at Sophie's school, her skort was 49.95 :shock:

sable
Spinning Goddess

Post by sable » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:35 am

Unfortunately those shorts don't come in royal blue which is our school colour, we're going to need more too. $40 a pair is horrific for shorts!
Rachelle
http://raciebaby.blogspot.com/

cj
TNN guru

Post by cj » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:19 pm

Ooh I seriously might try the M&S ones, thats great to know Petals, and at that price its not worth the effort of making, and if I don't get away with them I won't be gutted at all the wasted effort! Though I have other boys who would just wear them anyway for preschool/home if they aren't right. Wonder if they still have the free shipping. Otherwise I might get up to Papanui after Christmas and get to Fabric Vision.
Nicky, the girls culottes will be that price too and they are not something I will be able to make as the fabric isn't plain. And worse still I'll be paying all that for an item that really just won't suit my daughter, such a shame there won't be a dress any more (though I see the practicality of culottes, they just don't suit some shapes).
We need black running type shoes too, not a big deal for us as he needs new shoes anyway for next term, and thankfully the teacher warned us when we started that the uniform would change so it was fine to just go generic colours for the first terms, I only bought one new monogrammed fleece and the rest has been plain stuff or second hand. People who started the term before us weren't warned so I'm so glad we were, as I"d have gone all out and bought loads thinking I would be able to hand it on to my younger ones.

cj
TNN guru

Post by cj » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Aargh, none left in a 4, 5 or 6 in black!
Back to original plan!

inkypinkyponky
TNN addict

Post by inkypinkyponky » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:20 am

I don't know what shipping is like for Tesco, but http://www.clothingattesco.com might be worth a look. Also nextdirect.com are bound to have some. School uniforms in NZ amaze me - I guess because of sheer volume, it's so much cheaper in the UK. The UK don't have the same obsession with monogramming everything at exorbitant cost though, it's just colour that's important.
Katherine
Mummy to G (08/11), M (08/13) and stepmum to M (05/04)
Finished projects - lemonhoney.weebly.com
Doing 100 things as a family this year - daymakers.weebly.com

Return to “DIY everything else”