Rosie's Naps

Sharonnz
TNN guru

Post by Sharonnz » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:44 am

I'm loving velour at the moment! Sooooo soft & stretchy!

Sharon

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:48 am

Rosie, my personal preference would be for an inner that feels wet (helpful with toilet training). No idea about the soakers sorry.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Happy@home
TNN nerd

Post by Happy@home » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:30 am

Rosie wrote:I just can not decide on the inner fabrics maybe you guys can help. Would you prefer microflleece, velour or hemp inner. Also would you prefer a soaker that can be folded in for NB/small bubs and then snapped in for bigger bubs, or would you prefer different sized soakers for each stage, with stay dry layers. Option 2 would cost more.

Although velour isn't a staydry layer, it remains like new for ever. Microfleece can get ratty. Suedecloth isn't an option cause it doesn't stretch.
:smt102
I just can not decide.

Hmm, I really don't like internal soakers unless its microfibre. I recently took to pieces some hemp procare AIOs nappies that I bought on TM an age ago. Anyway I took out the 4 layered soaker and that left the 2 layered hemp inner. I then made a soaker out of BKT and suedeclth and sewed it on top. Its now a great fast drying AIO for Wes.
There's my 2 cents, I would go for hemp inner with a fold out, or snap in soaker. Not sure on different sized soakers. My two would be fine in the same sized soaker :oops:
Rebecca, HE mum to ds 17, ds16, dd 14, dd 12, dd 11, ds 9, ds 7, ds 6, dd 4, ds 2yo and due April mid '15

Janine
TNN nerd

Post by Janine » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:34 pm

Just to throw a spanner in the works... I won't buy a nappy that doesn't have a stay-dry inner :(

I have used seperate microfleece liners and still do occassionally with bum cream but don't like them and they seem to move?! I like that with microfleece and microsuede the whole inside of the nappy feels dry so he must be comfier!! LOL

Probably just me!

Mind you we haven't got to toilet training yet - then I might change my mind!

I guess the answer is you can't please everyone so do what is easiest for you to manufacture!

Good luck
Janine
Janine
DS-M - 11/03/05
DS-B - 03/09/07
DDs-R & J - 09/06/09

Rachel03
TNN nerd

Post by Rachel03 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:39 pm

I like microfleece for inner - but have not tried velour. I definitely must have a stay dry liner next to his skin, but if the nappy does not have it, I add it anyway :lol:

Soaker - Don't mind - either sounds good. Probably cheaper option?

Can't wait to see them. A true one-size!

Rachel

ClothConvert
TNN nerd

Post by ClothConvert » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:50 pm

i tend to like them with a stay dry liner too. don't like using separate m/fleece liners especially when it comes time to hang out the washing, so many bits to hang out.

for tt, personally i think prefolds folded into a pad in a cover is the way to go.

as for soakers, i don't mind having them one size, that way I can fold it to fit a smaller babe. Also, I have a few Snazzipants doublers, so I tend to use them as soakers for Nathan's wee bot.

bubbles
TNN nerd

Post by bubbles » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:11 pm

I won't use a night-nap on Liam without full stay-dry lining (love our super-soakers!) But i'll use a seperate one during the day even though I prefer stay-dry lining.

Have actually not used a liner at all a couple of times in this hot weather as I don't think it would hurt for Liam to start learning about 'feeling wet' in prep for TT. But only for short periods around the house.

Don't really mind about the soaker pads, though I do love the xtra long ones that I can fold to have those xtra layers at the front without bulk at the back. I also have one nap that the soaker almost doesn't reach far enough up the front to catch everything :shock: a real pain as its a lovely nappy!
Penny, Mum and Part-time Student - training to be a Naturopath and Herbalist

Mama-to-many
TNN nerd

Post by Mama-to-many » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:36 pm

Maybe velour inside coz it looks nice for longer....but could you do suedecloth on the soaker? I'd just go for one osaker - I could just see myself losing the large ones while the smalls were in use :roll:
Rachael
who pops onto TNN when Flower tells her to!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;46;15/st/19940925/e/I+started+changing+naps/dt/16/k/7b00/event.png[/img]
[/url]

bobavet
TNN nerd

Post by bobavet » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:46 pm

I would prefer a stay-dry layer.

Regarding the velour not getting ratty, I have to disagree. Note this isn't a complaint, just a comment. I have some small H/V fitted that are about 7 months old, and some that are a bit newer. The first ones were colours cream, pink, lavender and um fuschia I think. The colours have stayed lovely and soft, while the cream has gotten a bit harsh and ratty. It softens up a bit in the dryer, but it's quite distinctly different to the lush feeling of the other colours. So, while I don't mind so much on the outside of a nappy, I'd be quite hesitant to use it on the inside against bubs skin, even if I wasn't sold on the stay-dry layer.

As for the soaker sizing, I guess it would depend - when folded for newborn does it bulk up the nappy too much, or if it's still trim, is it insufficient on an older baby, so that substantial boosting would be required?

Maybe people could have the option of a stay-dry layer on the soaker, or perhaps a reversible soaker so it can be wet- or dry-feeling as required.
Julie
------------------------
[url=http://www.baby-gaga.com/][img]http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogsrd20050315_11_Alexandra+is.png[/img][/url]

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:45 pm

Just wanted to fine-tune my previous message. I said that I didn't mind the nappy not having a staydry layer. This is because as I assumed the snap/fold in soaker pad would be staydry topped.

I would prefer the nappy not to have a stay dry layer because:
1. toilet training (can leave out the staydry topped soaker so toddler feels wet
2. faster drying times (which are an issue down South).
3. I also find it easier to deal with poo when it's directly on a natural fabric rather than on microfleece (which holds the smell more).

I would still buy a staydry topped nappy though.
Leanne
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Rosie
TNN addict

Post by Rosie » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:21 pm

Thanks guys. I still can't decide what to do. :smt102

Probably stick with the microfleece inner on the nappy and a tri-fold soaker. I'll whip a few up tonight and see what I prefer.
Rosie

Mama-to-many
TNN nerd

Post by Mama-to-many » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:54 pm

If we hadn't known about the choices, we'd have thought whatever you made was great!!!!!!!
Rachael
who pops onto TNN when Flower tells her to!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;46;15/st/19940925/e/I+started+changing+naps/dt/16/k/7b00/event.png[/img]
[/url]

dodgums
TNN guru

Post by dodgums » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:04 pm

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:26 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mmmm I like m. fleece or suede cloth. I do not mind as long as it is thin. I have not got a velour nap yet ( do not have the extra money to buy one or the fabric to make one as yet. But one day soon ) Maybe a velour with a pad that is topped with a staydry cover.

I think different size soakers for different size babies. The trimmer the better.
Then I could use for both mine in naps
Mum to G 21yrs, B 20yr, B 14yrs, G 12yrs, G 9yrs, B 7yrs, B 5yrs and wife to a great dh

Rosie
TNN addict

Post by Rosie » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:39 am

I made a couple last night, both out of hemp stretch terry. Photos here http://rosiesnaps.co.nz/store/piclink.asp?pageID=OSFA Both have a 2 layer fold in soaker, tri-fold for big babies, fold in 4 for littlies. The trimmer one has no staydry layers, it is really trim. The bulkier one has a microfleece liner through the body and suedecloth on the soaker.

My 'research' trip around the 'name' brands has been fun. None of them have built in staydry layers, most have velour or hemp inners. :)
Rosie

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:06 am

:smt041 Alright Rosie! They look gorgeous!

When can we buy? ;)
Leanne

Return to “Fitted Nappies”