Wee Weka Patterns - feedback?

Dunners
TNN oracle

Wee Weka Patterns - feedback?

Post by Dunners » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:40 pm

If you have any ideas on how I can make these patterns more user-friendly, please let me know.

Some things I've been thinking about :smt017 lately:

I wonder if people realise that the PDF files have instructions after the pages with pattern pieces. Should I organise the files so that the instructions come first?

I have also noticed that some people aren't piecing all the pattern pieces together (e.g. the middle little piece on one pattern has been missed out by some people). Is this a case of bad pattern design, or tired users? How can I make it more obvious? Should I add something about it to the pattern pieces, or maybe to the instruction page? I thought my "match up the shape" key would work, but it appears that it has not.

Another thing that seems to come up regularly is the length of elastic needed. In the summary of materials required I've stated a generous amount of elastic to use as I thought it would be horrible for people to run out mid-nappy (and since different elastics have different stretch, I don't want to specify a length). But the over estimation seems to confuse people - I'm sure each set of instructions state words to the effect of "attach elastic, sew while stretching down at much as you can and cut at the end". Is this not clear enough? Or are people not reading this? Do I need to reword it?

Is the information in the title/on the pattern pieces useful? Sizing comes up regularly - I'm hoping that over time people will add their comments about sizing to the appropriate review thread :wink:

Please, if you have any suggestions let me know. I want these patterns to be helpful, not off-putting.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

dodgums
TNN guru

Re: Wee Weka Patterns - feedback?

Post by dodgums » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:40 am

Dunners wrote:Another thing that seems to come up regularly is the length of elastic needed. In the summary of materials required I've stated a generous amount of elastic to use as I thought it would be horrible for people to run out mid-nappy (and since different elastics have different stretch, I don't want to specify a length). But the over estimation seems to confuse people - I'm sure each set of instructions state words to the effect of "attach elastic, sew while stretching down at much as you can and cut at the end". Is this not clear enough? Or are people not reading this? Do I need to reword it?

I think weights for patterns would be great. Elastic I was one of those too I have never read that. I place at point a and measure to point b then half it .

3 pattern peices I think this is fine. if you have cut out patterns before.

Yes maybe instructions first would be easier for people
Mum to G 21yrs, B 20yr, B 14yrs, G 12yrs, G 9yrs, B 7yrs, B 5yrs and wife to a great dh

nova
TNN oracle

Post by nova » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:42 am

i was one of those people who missed the third piece :oops: and tbh i don't think anything would have stopped me, cos yes, i noticed that the symbols didn't match, and that the edge didn't match, but did i check the pattern again? [-( i just went :smt102 and fudged it :lol:

i think putting the instructions first would be good, cos then at least people have to scroll through them before they get to the pattern & you can just print off pages 5-7 for example.. and maybe you could put a note in Bold in the instructions to make sure you have all 3 pieces! :lol:

but i think they are really great, and the instructions are good too! :smt023
:star:

Judy
TNN nerd

Post by Judy » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:50 pm

My sister said that there wasn't any instruction to sew the elastic on microfleece; though now when I check the instructions (the multisized pattern) I can kinda see it in there noted as attaching two pieces of elastic, one to the outer and one to the "liner" - so perhaps that could be clearer. ie. Step one, attach to the outer, step two, do the inner.

And yes, clearer guide on the exact amount of elastic in each leg. Perhaps say - there are two ways to attach it; either cut a 6" piece, secure one end, then three step zig-zag down it - or the stretch as you go, cut at the end method.
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2106/2186177705_c42a1388d3_m.jpg[/img] Hip and Side Snap patterns in newborn through extra large for sale by request.

Jujube
TNN nerd

Post by Jujube » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:45 pm

As someone who is very new to nappy sewing, thought I would post my two cents worth on this topic.

Admittedly, I have had a whole raft of problems sewing my first (few!) nappies. This is nothing to do with the patterns or instructions, but is simply because my sewing skills are so shocking (didn't realise the pattern pieces needed to be joined before cutting the fabric :roll: ) & I didn't read the instructions properly. In some cases, I think I probably followed the instructions too closely and didn't think logically about how a nappy works - i.e. sewing the velcro on the wrong side of the PUL etc etc. (the list goes on)!!!!

IMHO, the pattern is very user friendly and instructions are great. My only thought is that it probably assumes (and fair enough too) that sew-ers have some degree of sewing knowledge.

I think the pictures are also very helpful.

The only thing I couldn't quite figure out was how to make the pattern smaller or larger....my little girl has chicken legs :-) but I think I"ll try and get one 'working nappy' completed before tackling that one :D

Right....off to go and re-sew that velcro :lol:

Joanne
TNN nerd

Post by Joanne » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:40 pm

Well, having just taken a day off work this week to sew (yep, I got desperate for child-free sewing time!) I set about making my first pocket nappy from one of the Wee Weka patterns. Actually, make that from two of the patterns ... on purpose!! Ha! :lol:

I wanted a pocket, but also to use the FOE. Oh, and a gusset too was going to be nice. Only I had left my pattern for the FOE with gusset at home ... and only had the SML fitted/SM pocket pattern with me.

So after a while, decided to just give it a go with the pattern I had, and a gusset done from memory of what I had read on another thread.

I have to say, the best thing were the step by step instructions for making a pocket nappy. This is the 7(?) page edition, not the brief one after the pattern. The instructions were clear and the photos were great.

I now have one fantastic lime green pocket nappy with FOE and gussets. It even snaps down to a small size, and is (just) big enough for my 13kg 16mth old! Wahoo!! :D
Wife to M, Mum to DS 2/02, DD1 3/05, and DD2 1/07

Joanne
TNN nerd

Post by Joanne » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:44 pm

Sorry - and more to the point .... the patterns you have are great Leanne.
I haven't sewn much at all since high school, but did remember to match the symbols!
Wife to M, Mum to DS 2/02, DD1 3/05, and DD2 1/07

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:29 pm

I love your patterns Leanne! I just made my first swim nappy with FOE (first time using FOE too) and it turned out superb (just a shame I didn't print out the pattern first or I would have realised that 1m of FOE wouldn't be enough and I wouldn't have a nappy with yellow FOE around the top and sides, and white around the legs :?)

But anyway, that's my fault!

I've also just made my first pocket, and my only problem is with this bit:

"attach elastic, sew while stretching down at much as you can and cut at the end".

I think that possibly I stretched the elastic (both lastin and 'regular' elastic) more than I should have - but hey, I stretched it as much as I could (which was quite a lot :wink: :? ). The end result is that the nappy shrinks like a prune when sitting slack because the elastic is sooooo tight around the legs and back (I'm sure it's too tight), and it seems my stretching powers were stronger on one leg than the other, because one leg seems to be tighter :?

It looks so cute I can't bear to take the elastic out and start again, but I think I might need to.

I'm also going to make sure that I measure the amount of elastic I start with BEFORE I sew it into the first leg, then I'll calculate what I used and cut a piece exactly the same length for the other leg (so I don't get the 'tight leg, loose leg' thing happening :roll: ).

Has anyone else had the problem of stretching the elastic too much?

Other than those teething problems, which are entirely operator errors, I think the patterns are fantastic, thank you so much. :P
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

justene
TNN nerd

Post by justene » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:49 am

i tried lastin for the first time with this pattern, so the lastin in the casing at the back i did 15 cm's like it said(it did didn't it :?: )anyway it was far to much as it didn't have any strect in it, normal elastic these measurements are fine though, so i ended up unpicking and strecting it as much as posible and it only ended up being 8cm and it's fine, also the leg elastic is only about 8cm as well,, i elasticated the microflecce as well at the pocket opening but i use about 12cm cause other wise it's too hard to get stuffing in, overall i'm really happy with it although i did widend the crotch and it fits them really well

mmm maybee i could of strected it a little bit more but not much. mine shrinks up alot too but it still fits good.
my 4 awesome girls! Amy 3/06 Jade 3/06 Reese 5/09 Zoe 6/11

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:59 am

Thanks Justene, it's good to have those measurements to start with.

i tried lastin for the first time with this pattern, so the lastin in the casing at the back i did 15 cm's like it said(it did didn't it

I bought the Greenbeans lastin nappy kit and it has the wee weka pattern, but the instructions don't look the same as the other wee weka pattern I've got, so I think the instructions may be different for some reason (for example it doesn't say to attach snaps before sewing so that you get the fleece against baby's skin instead of snaps, it just says to attach at the end, but I did it first anyway - the pattern is actually a hook and loop pattern, but it does say you can use snaps). The instructions with the kit didn't specify a length of elastic, just to stretch it as much as you can. Problem is I'm making a newborn nappy (for a friend), but I don't have a newborn to try it on and she isn't due until end of October (and I want to make some more).

I have no problems with either the pattern or the instructions, they were both fab and easy to follow, I guess I just need to figure out if the legs will be too tight (and I guess that changes from baby to baby anyway :? ). Compared with my small FB though the nappy is really 'scrunched' when not being worn, but maybe it will be OK anyway :smt102

Now I just need to find a newborn to borrow for a few minutes :wink: and I'll know :P
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

nova
TNN oracle

Post by nova » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:09 am

hmm thats something.. maybe a note for people using lastin for the pocket casing (like GBs diy lastin pocket kit users :D ) to zigzag the lastin onto the flap then straight-stitch the casing down 8) i've had two where it has snapped before i learnt to do that :(

hope you are reading this sarah!! :wink:
:star:

justene
TNN nerd

Post by justene » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:25 am

with the elastic or lastin i measure it say 8cm then put a pin in instead of cutting it so i have something to hold on to as i'm stretching it.i did lots of pocket naps with putting the snaps on last wasn't a major drama trying to get them on, but is way easier putting them on last, i just couldn't wait to get making them :D
my 4 awesome girls! Amy 3/06 Jade 3/06 Reese 5/09 Zoe 6/11

hoaenz
TNN guru

Post by hoaenz » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:05 pm

Compared with my small FB though the nappy is really 'scrunched' when not being worn, but maybe it will be OK anyway

I have a wee weka side snap pocket made by Dunners - it is VERY scrunched up before it goes on but fits FINE and no marks on legs. Still fits my 9kg 11mth old, I get wicking out one leg now when using it as a pocket but as a cover its great, perfect size for the infant prefolds.
Anthea
-----------------------------------------------

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:16 pm

Thanks Anthea, that's good to know. Maybe I don't have to pull the elastic out :smt041

I probably should fix the one looser leg (or the one tighter leg) so that they are both the same though :roll:
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

Judy
TNN nerd

Post by Judy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:22 pm

The "scrunching up" vs the flatter look of the Fuzzis is due to the topstitching. :D
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2106/2186177705_c42a1388d3_m.jpg[/img] Hip and Side Snap patterns in newborn through extra large for sale by request.

Return to “Pattern Reviews”