Wee Weka m/l side snap pocket

Larraine
TNN nerd

Post by Larraine » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:06 pm

I just used the normal seam allowance. Maybe it's because this didn't have the "stretch" to it??

I've used the other wee weka patterns and have had no problems.
Larraine

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:12 pm

Dunners wrote: I wonder what seam allowance you ladies are using - I have no problems fitting this M/L pocket on 2 year old 13 kg Emily stuffed with even a premium (4x8x4) or toddler (4x6x4) prefold. Likewise, I stuff J's pockets with gussets with all sorts including thick terry towelling nappies. I think that the resulting sizing will depend on:
* stretch of waterproof layer (e.g. poly knit PUL v cotton PUL or other less stretchy fabric)
* stretch of staydry layer (e.g. microfleece with stretch width wise rather than length wise, or suedecloth with even less stretch)
* seam allowance used

It should be stated on that pattern that it included a seam allowance of about 0.5 cm (I allow for an overlocking width which I guess to be about 0.5 cm). Were you using more?

I think it must be all about the fabric. That one I made which I could only fit the hemp insert folded in 4 was definitely not stretchy enough fabrics.
My gusset ones have all been made with Print woven PUL so no stretch in them, but I always use microfleece with stretch going side-to-side.
I always make my seam as close to the edge as possible, so definitely no bigger than 0.5cm.
Mum of 6

Judy
TNN nerd

Post by Judy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:23 pm

OK; here's pictures of my large size wide width diaper - it's stuffed with a hemp/microfibre flat (so 6 layers total) plus a regular flat folded in 12. (Black PUL & red suedecloth both from Greenbeans)

This one has the elastic casing on the leg like a Fuzzi, but I have another to this pattern that doesn't. I'd probably make the casing wider if I was doing it again on this one - it would fold in a bit better to sit against his leg - looks OK in the picture but I did notice it gaping a bit when he was rolling around right after this (he wears wool longies over top, so never any leaks though). He's also lost a bit of weight with being sick so may just need another set of snaps on the side to pull it in a bit. He's 12 kg @ 2.5 years so a pretty skinny fellow anyhow. [edited to delete photo on DS]

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2106/2186177705_c42a1388d3_m.jpg[/img] Hip and Side Snap patterns in newborn through extra large for sale by request.

ednaboo
TNN convert

Post by ednaboo » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:05 pm

I love this pattern but always add a max of an extra 1.5 cm through the crotch (1.5cm at the slimmest point, tapering out to the wings) and this works well for us. Have also added a few cm to the rise through the crotch as DS is getting taller.
Mum to a blue eyed blonde haired boy Dec 04 and a dark haired girl born Mar 07!

criscutho
TNN newbie

What age does it start to fit at?

Post by criscutho » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:43 pm

I can't decide when to start making them for DD. I am using the S/M SS at the moment (she is 12 months) and the PUL pockets are getting closer to needng to upgrade, but the fleece ones have ages yet.

Monty
TNN nerd

Post by Monty » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:37 am

A great big thank-you to Dunners for creating this pattern!

I made one last night for my 2year 4 month, 16kg daughter and the fit is superb!

It's a lovely trim fit and super easy pattern to follow. The crotch is quite narrow (I probably used a greater seam allowance than 0.5cm tho as my sewing skils aren't that great! :oops: ) but I really like this feature as it ensures a trim fit, it's not too narrow though as I can easily stuff a regular prefold folded in four in it.

THANKYOU!!!!
Leanne - mother of Callum (15), Ayla (7), Ethan (5) and

Return to “Pattern Reviews”